Wednesday, June 29, 2011

5-15 & 5-16 Flood Tides and Topwater Trout

After a couple of early flood tide scouting missions without much success, mid May finally brought some luck in the form of red gold in the grass. I found a nice spot to wade earlier in the year, and decided to give it a go during an evening flood. I found a pretty good fish working lazily in some thick grass and made a couple of casts to it before he finally decided to cooperate and swim towards the fly. He launched out of the water trying to get my fiddler imitation as it hung on a blade of grass. After he missed I picked it up and put it right back in his face and he ate. This was my earliest flood tide red to date...

I found one more nice red tailing on the edge of a big flat as the water began to fall and fed him the fly, only to feel the tell tale pop of a parted leader upon the hookset. I wasn't down though, getting them to eat is half the battle.

The next morning I ventured to a new area with a buddy who had been on an amazing topwater trout bite. It did not dissappoint. The fish were pounding bait on the surface right after sunrise, and most of them were solid trout. We ended up with around 20 between the two of us in a couple hours work.
Spring is quickly turning into summer and the fishing is heating up fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment