Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Warm Up Begins - Feb 2011

We had some very nice warm days in February, so against my better judgement, I left the trout and went looking for redfish. I got a nice new reel for my ultra-light rig and loaded it with 4lb braid. I knew where some reds had been hanging, so I made my way in there, set up and waited. It was a mid-day low tide, so the dark mud bottom had a chance to warm up a few degrees, which in turn warms the cold water coming back in on the incoming tide just enough to get the fish somewhat active. Sure enough, the reds began feeding gingerly, and I got a shot at one that came up on the oysters to feed. As soon as I threw the DOA in there the fish ate. It was a great fight on the ultralight line. Unfortunately, a local bait-chucking guide came in the same creek and ruined the bite. The cherry on top was when he asked me if I saw all the reds he just spooked. Yes I saw them jackass, but thanks for making sure. Anyway, I got my redfish fix, and got a good fish on the light rig...

No comments:

Post a Comment