Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Afternoon Low Tide Success

With a good low tide about a couple hours before sunset, my bud Kevin and I hit the water looking for some reds. Since the water was still a bit high when we launched I made my way over to some higher flats that get bone dry at low. I found some reds working their way out of the grass and was rewarded with a nice 22" fish on the Abomination.

 We fished our way out with the tide and found a few more reds working as the tide fell. Kevin connected with one as I watched and told him there had to be a red sitting in a creek mouth.
Kevin and I split up, and I switched flies to a darker pattern as the water was a little turbid once the tide turned. I ended up finding some very nice reds working a bank hard. I made my way over to them quietly and was able to put a good cast over an oyster bar on one of them. I got the fish to eat on three seperate occassions, but could not get a good hookset because my line was laid up over the bar. This fish got wise to my tricks and I found another over slot red super shallow working some oysters. My first cast in to the fish was met with an explosive strike. It was a pretty precarious spot, wedged in between several jagged oyster bars, and the fish took me straight into one and cut me off. I was devastated, as the fish was well over 30", and I only get a handful of shots at fish like this a year. Hopefully this year will be different and I will meet him again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment